Let’s Use Thorium
Oct 9th, 2011 by adminadam in home
- Thorium is 4 times more common in the Earth’s crust than Uranium, and much safer to use as fuel.
- Thorium is useless for making nuclear weapons; we can freely share the reactor designs.
- Total energy extraction from Thorium is 200 times more efficient than that of Uranium.
- Virtually all fissile material is used up in Liquid Flouride-Thorium Reactors, producing significantly less waste.
- Low-temperature, low-pressure process makes meltdowns impossible.
- Fail-safe salt plug halts reaction immediately upon loss of power or other malfunction.
- All this extra energy can be used to create synthetic fuels from water and CO2, like methanol, ammonia, and dymethyl ether (for diesel).